The Necessary Software Thread

Talk about and discuss various advancements and achievents in the arts and sciences of invention and modification; computers, sciences, mathematics, and technology for all.

No votes

Total votes: 0

jdog

Re: The Necessary Software Thread

Post by jdog »

Name of the Software: HD Tune
Where did you get it: http://www.hdtune.com/download.html
Cost: Free (v2.55), $34.95 US (v4.61)
Size: 1.4MB
Version: 4.61
What is it: HD Tune is a hard disk utility for Microsoft Windows with many functions such as measure the drives performance, scan for errors, check the health status (S.M.A.R.T.) and securely erase all data.
Free Support: http://www.hdtune.com/contact.html

Note: If anyone wants the latest version of this without the cost please send me a PM! The free 2.55 version doesn't really support HDDs above 1.5TB and lacks a lot of features. It hasn't been updated since 2008.
If any links are down, please send me a PM!

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
jdog

Post by jdog »

Name of the Software: InfraRecorder
Where did you get it: http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=5
Cost: Free
Size: 3.94MB
Version: 0.52
What is it: InfraRecorder supports disk rewriting and dual layer DVDs. InfraRecorder can also be used to burn a disc from an ISO image file. This program is completely portable on the Windows operating system. As of version 0.40, InfraRecorder offers features similar to most CD and DVD authoring software, including the creation and burning of data and audio disc images, the ability to work with rewritable and multisession discs, and the ability to extract WAV and ISO image files from discs. One can also use the LAME MP3 encoder to save Audio CD tracks. InfraRecorder is available in a version that will run natively on 64-bit versions of Windows; however, this version doesn't include an Ogg Vorbis decoder or libsnd library due to compilation difficulties with MinGW on the 64-bit Windows platform.
Free Support: http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=2

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

I feel like we should break this up into a Linux/Windows thing, all these proggies look cool but I have no intention on using Windows again if I can help it...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
jdog

Post by jdog »

Über wrote:I feel like we should break this up into a Linux/Windows thing, all these proggies look cool but I have no intention on using Windows again if I can help it...
Compared to Windows, Linux apps are standard and limited. Each desktop environment has a set base of apps - such as K3B for KDE, Brasero for Gnome, Xfburn for LXDE, etc. LibreOffice is standard on all of them at this point and it's already in this thread, as are Inkscape and Deluge which are two more Linux apps that have also been ported to Windows.

But you are the head master here. I will contribute to both Linux and Windows however you decide. :silly:

Speaking of LXDE, have you tried out Lubuntu?

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

I have not, but I'm thinking of trying out ArchLinux soon...Still trying to get to Fedora to where I feel its perfect...

And I'm no head master, just a guy... :D

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
jdog

Post by jdog »

Über wrote:I have not, but I'm thinking of trying out ArchLinux soon...Still trying to get to Fedora to where I feel its perfect...

And I'm no head master, just a guy... :D
Good luck with Fedora. IMO it's more of a server distro than anything I could get working properly.

I actually gave Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha a try and it's gold in my book. Whatever issues that were with Unity in the past I can't see. It's working flawlessly on an old Lenovo X60s (Core Duo, 2GB DDR2) at work.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
jdog

Post by jdog »

Name of the Software: SkyDrive
Where did you get it: http://www.skydrive.com
Cost: Free
Size: Web Based
Version: Wave 5
What is it: Windows Live SkyDrive, initially called Windows Live Folders, is a free-of-charge file hosting service that allows users to upload files to a cloud storage and then access them from a Web browser. It is part of Microsoft's Windows Live range of online services, and uses Windows Live ID to control access to files, allowing users to keep the files private, share them with contacts, or make the files public. Publicly-shared files do not require a Windows Live ID to access.
The service offers 25GB of free personal storage, with individual files limited to 100MB. The service is built using HTML5 technologies, and files can be uploaded via drag and drop.
Free Support: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-sk ... elp-center

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Sir Jig-A-Lot

Post by Sir Jig-A-Lot »

Do any of y'all know if there is a program to help you manage your files? Something that can run a search of your hard drive to let you know you have doubled or tripled up on something? Thanks.
ALL MY BITCHEZ LUH ME

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

Hmm, that depends...

I have a program that can search for duplicate images, another program that makes HTML lists of directories, and I guess that all inclusive index...What are your specific needs..?

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
Sir Jig-A-Lot

Post by Sir Jig-A-Lot »

I've found that sometimes I have copied or backed up multiple copies of the same files, regardless of whether it's a song, clip or images. I stumble on the duplicates by accident. I have 2+ terabytes of data that would take forever to sift through. I'd really like something to help me do it quicker. It'd really help save a lot of space methinks.
ALL MY BITCHEZ LUH ME

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links