Windows 10 on the way

Talk about and discuss various advancements and achievents in the arts and sciences of invention and modification; computers, sciences, mathematics, and technology for all.
kurgan2001

Re: Windows 10 on the way

Post by kurgan2001 »

Ok .. this has me concerned.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... -problems/
Last week Microsoft MSFT -0.3% confirmed every Windows 10 update will mandatory and installed automatically. This was met with a hostile reception from Forbes readers with over 100 comments on my news article voicing their concern. And now some of those fears have been realised…

With just four days left before launch, Windows 10’s policy of automatic updates has run into its first major problem and it is causing many PCs to stop working correctly.

The flaw revolves around Nvidia graphics cards with users taking to Nvidia’s forums to report Windows Update is automatically installing new drivers which break multimonitor setups, SLI (dual card) configurations and can even stop PCs booting entirely which pushes Windows 10 into its emergency recovery mode.
mandatory security updates is one thing, but mandatory driver updates via windows update .. oh fuck no.

I've went ahead and cancelled my reservations on my machines. I'm going to wait to see if they change this bullshit.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

Driver problems are in the "shit I don't want to deal with ever again if I can avoid it" category.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

Eeek..! I just got 10 Pro going on my desktop, no issues so far...But I'm guessing that might change? Ionno, I'm trying to be optimistic here...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
kurgan2001

Post by kurgan2001 »

I've tentatively put it on 2 machines (home version) and so far so good. Wifey likes it so far and on both I've disabled as much of the tracking crap as I could. Not using Cortana and logging in using local accounts as opposed to Microsoft accounts. Also got rid of that OneDrive shit also. I'm debating whether or not to do my main desktop as it will go to pro. I may wait for it after they release the service release 1 in October.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

Windows Update is apparently trying to drop a 3+GB update on my other comp that has 7 Pro.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
kurgan2001

Post by kurgan2001 »

shin_dr wrote:Windows Update is apparently trying to drop a 3+GB update on my other comp that has 7 Pro.
Yeah, that's the actual Windows 10 install

Update: Still on Windows 10, still liking it thus far. Only had a couple hiccups. Once with the searchui.exe (had to run the run the troubleshooter and it autofixed it). The second, my mouse settings aren't being saved. At least the settings for my touchpad even though I'm using the latest drivers that it downloaded. I don't have a physical on/off switch so I have to use the software to disable the touchpad when I have my wireless mouse installed. This resets each time I reboot. Not a big deal to change the setting but still annoying.

Overall, so far so good. I may even take my main desktop to Windows 10 this weekend (still debating)

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

Of course I couldn't wait, I jumped in before I realized I should have kept on 8 until I rooted my damn phone.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

I'm still probably going to wait on it for a while, at least until I can get a couple other things done.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
kurgan2001

Post by kurgan2001 »

Well, my laptop and my wife's laptop are still on 10. I'm still wary of all the privacy/telemetry stuff. I'm not taking my main desktop to 10 .. it will stay on 7 for the time being and foreseeable future. If at some point I HAVE to move it to a new OS, I'll probably migrate it to a Linux box as I have a laptop with Fedora 22 on it already.

I'd like to be able to game on it, but c'est la vie. I have my current laptop on 10 for gaming (for now until MS fucks up and does something incredibly stupid to piss me off).

Anyways, that's a quick update thus far. I like 10, I want to like 10. I really really do.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

Couple of things...

I know this is a huge tech "no-no" but I did a stand in place upgrade instead of a clean install...I've noticed a couple of things...Mainly, there aren't any icons on my programs in my start menu, just the default icon...But it's not consistent, my Chrome tile looks like it's supposed to. But many of my programs don't...Not a huge deal, but these are the kinds of things I'd be looking for if I were suggesting something might be an issue down the road...

Also, the speed at which my machine shuts down has gone up...I could get from a shutdown to a usable start in 15, maybe 20 seconds...I haven't timed it out yet, but I'd bet 10 takes 30+ to do the same thing...I have 24 GB of RAM, an SSD and a hexacore @ 3.4 GHz...Once it's going, my machine doesn't do anything slow...I'll reserve full judgment until I can take the time to do a clean install, but this certainly worries me some...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links