Weird USB problem

Talk about and discuss various advancements and achievents in the arts and sciences of invention and modification; computers, sciences, mathematics, and technology for all.
shin_dr

Weird USB problem

Post by shin_dr »

It seems like every so often the ports become unresponsive and my mouse and keyboard don't work. Usually I just swap them out and it works fine, but a while later the same thing happens again. Restarting turns things back to normal but it's pretty annoying.

It seems Flash is checking for updates around the time of most of them, but i don't know if it's that simple.

Device Manager doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. I ran one of Microsoft's little fixit things and that didn't seem to do much.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Re: Weird USB problem

Post by AYHJA »

It has been a while, but this could be a 'ghost' device issue.

Long story short, sometimes, when you plug and unplug devices, different USB and hardware ID's are assigned. Windows will sometime forget to purge them, and you're stuck with an issue like yours.

The best thing to do is unplug them all, reboot into safe mode and then remove all of your USB controller devices from the device manager.

That should force a mass reset, and reassign devices as you plug them back in. Should be fixed, but if not not we have other tricks.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

Well, last night I noticed a spike in temperature. I don't know if that's the root cause, but it sure doesn't help.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

Looks like heat is the primary issue.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

So far it seems the rest behaves if I limit use of one port and keep an eye on the fan speed during the afternoon.

I do have one of those Belkin 4-in-1 hubs in case I do need to connect multiple drives or such, but I don't want to push it at the moment.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

Shit, that's not good Bro...

Have you given your machine one of those really thorough dustings with a couple cans of compressed air? Also, could be that your heat sink paste has deteriorated enough so that you have issues like yours. How old is this machine?

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

Everything else checks out fine, I'm hoping it's just a byproduct of the weather. The only other thing that's increased is playing games.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

I switched mouses and haven't had the freeze happen since, so that seems taken care of.

The heat problem showed up again this morning though; it's over 100 outside so I can't rule out weather, but this is getting worrying.

I've got a lot of stuff backed up but not everything, and I might just need another external to share the load. (I was already thinking about one as a sort of media/games only, guess I need to plan for that sooner rather than later).

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
AYHJA

Post by AYHJA »

Shit man, no luck on cleaning out the dust bunnies? That heat is no bueno bud, you best have backups going...

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links
shin_dr

Post by shin_dr »

I got a couple ideas about the room itself but I think I'm just going to have to be super vigilant about stuff for the next few weeks.

BBcode:
Hide post links
Show post links